1 ea. Cedar Plank*
(approx. 5"x6" or any size larger than the fish will work)
10-12 oz. Salmon Filet, bones and skin removed
1/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/8 tsp. Ground Black Pepper
1/2 Cup Chipotle-Honey BBQ Sauce**
1 Tbl. Butter, unsalted
1/4 Cup Zucchini, 1/2" diced
1/4 Cup Red, Yellow Peppers, 1/2" diced
1 Cup Fresh Corn Kernels
Pinch Kosher Salt
Pinch Ground Black Pepper
6-8 Rings Yellow Onions, sliced 1/2" thick
1/2 Cup Tempura Batter**
1/8 tsp. Kosher Salt
1-2 Cups Mashed Potatoes**
- Soak the cedar planks in water for a minimum of 30 minutes before using.
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat (approximately 400°F or grey coals if using charcoal). Place the cedar plank onto the grill for 2-3 minutes or until it begins to smoke and becomes slightly darker in color. Remove the plank from the grill.
- Spread 2Tbls. of the BBQ sauce on the center of the cedar plank.
- Season both sides of the fish with salt and pepper. Place the salmon onto the cedar plank and set it onto the grill. Place a lid over the fish or close the cover over the grill and allow the fish to cook for 2 minutes.
- Lift the lid and baste the salmon with a little BBQ sauce. Cover the fish and cook for 2 more minutes. Lift the lid again and baste the fish a second time with BBQ sauce. Cover the fish and continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Lift the lid and baste one last time with the remaining BBQ sauce. Cover the fish and continue to cook for another 2 minutes or until the fish is done. When cooked correctly, the fish will be extremely moist, with a deep, rich sheen across the surface. The exposed wood around the fish may become darker, with a slight blackening along the edges.
- Melt the butter in a sauté pan. Add the zucchini into the sauté pan. Cook the zucchini until it has become tender and hot throughout. Add the red/yellow peppers into the pan and continue to cook the vegetables until the peppers are tender. Toss the vegetables together several times while cooking to avoid burning.
- Add the corn into the sauté pan. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until all of the vegetables are tender and thoroughly heated through.
- Dip the raw onion rings into the tempura batter. Carefully place the battered onion rings into a deep fryer set at 350ºF and cook for 2 – 3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. When the onion rings are done season them with a little salt.
- Set the cedar planked salmon onto the center of a large serving platter. Place the corn succotash onto the left side of the platter and the onion rings onto the right side of the platter. Place equal portions of mashed potatoes along the sides of the fish covering the exposed areas of the wood.
*Available at specialty kitchen supply stores.
**Many quality recipes are available on the internet and in cookbooks.
View More Recipes